There are a few different avenues you can take to file a complaint with your state’s insurance commissioner, depending on your preference. Whether you’re an over-the-phone, email or face-to-face type of person, there’s a way to make contact that best fits your lifestyle and comfort zone.


Most state insurance departments make it easy by providing a form directly on their website. On the Montana securities and insurance department website, the menu button at the top of the page provides a drop-down menu with the option to file a complaint. There are three sections within that option, directing users to the insurance complaint page, an insurance fraud page and a securities fraud page. The department recommends first contacting the insurance company or agent to bring the problem to their attention, documenting the call in the process. You should also keep written copies of all communication, including the date and brief summary of the discussion.

When you’re ready to file your complaint with the Montana insurance commissioner, access the complaint form on the webpage. The consumer complaint form will ask for basic personal information, such as your name, address, and phone number. Then, you’ll provide the information regarding the insurance company the complaint is against. Only fields denoting an asterisk are required. If you need to add any supporting documents to the complaint form, you’ll receive an opportunity to attach them after the final submission. Or, you can mail the documents along with a printed copy of the complaint form directly to the Commissioner of Securities and Insurance office.


After filing a complaint with the Montana insurance department, a file number will be assigned to you that you’ll want to keep on hand whenever you speak to the insurance commissioner. After a response to the claim is received from the company or individual, a compliance specialist in the insurance department will review both the complaint and the response and decide upon a course of action.

If the insurance company is violating state insurance law or not abiding by the policy, the insurance commissioner will request corrective action. The insurance commissioner requires cooperation in order to ensure a thorough investigation into the complaint. So, if the insurance company has not responded to all inquiries to properly assess the situation, the commissioner will require them to do so. If no violations into state insurance law are discovered, or the complaint has been resolved, the insurance department will close the complaint and send you a letter detailing the findings of the investigation.


At K-Factor Advocates, not only does our team of public insurance adjusters have the tools, resources and knowledge to help you file a complaint against your insurance company, but we can stop insurance claim conflicts before they get out of hand. By having a public adjuster on your side from the very start, there will be someone on your side to ensure your insurance company and the individuals who work for it are abiding by state insurance law and policy guidelines through each step of your claim.

But if you’ve already gone through the claims process without a public adjuster, we can still help. Your time is valuable, and we can help take the burden of the complaint process off your shoulders. With experience handling hundreds of insurance claims and a keen understanding of homeowner’s insurance policies and state insurance law, we believe our team would prove to be an invaluable asset to resolving your insurance complaint.


K-Factor Advocates is a public adjusting firm that specializes in insurance claim negotiation, policy language and interpretation, and claims estimating. K-Factor’s team of public adjusters work on behalf of the policyholder. Coverage areas include Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota and Michigan.

    Request Free Claim Review